by Mitchell W.
2 MAY 2019 marks a big deal for many, especially those who are all for women empowerment, as Datuk Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat has been appointed as Chief Justice of Malaysia's Federal court!
She will succeed the position from the previous Chief Justice, Tan Sri Richard Malanjum, after serving 27 years in the judiciary.
Tan Sri Richard Malanjum also made Malaysian history as the first Sabahan to hold the judiciary's top post.
Here are some Fun Facts about our new Chief Justice, Tengku Maimun:
- Tengku Maimun graduated from Universiti Malaya (wow, that's right outside of MYC!'s office!)
- Her career began as a legal officer in the South Kelantan Development Board in 1982.
- In 1984, she became legal officer in the Seremban Municipal Council for two years before joining the Attorney General's Chambers in the Drafting Division.
- Tengku Maimun also held several posts including magistrate, Sessions Court judge, federal counsel and senior assistant registrar as well as special officer to former Chief Justices Tun Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah and Tun Ahmad Fairuz Sheikh Abdul Halim.
- She was the Chief Registrar of the Federal Court in 2005.
- Tengku Maimun was appointed judicial commissioner in 2006 and confirmed as High Court judge the following year.
- She was elevated to Court of Appeal judge in 2013 and subsequently appointed as Federal Court judge in November last year.
You could practically call her the Malaysian Wonder Woman if you wanted to -- just give her a lasso.
This woman is far more powerful than a heck lotta men, so I'd say women empowerment prevails eh...